Sunday, June 07, 2009

WHY I AM A ROTARIAN

WHY I AM A ROTARIAN?
By: Catherine M. Ricci
When someone asks me why I became a Rotarian and what do we do, it is not an easy question to answer. I became a Rotarian for many reasons. The most profound was the fact that I myself have had to rely on a Local Food pantry for help at some point. Having five children at home with two in Diapers and being a single parent all at once can be a somewhat overwhelming experience. No matter what you do for a living. I wanted the children in a good school, and paid for it dearly.
It was then I had to turn to the local food pantry in my area, after a lot of soul searching. I was embarrassed that I even had to go there, but I was out of diapers and had just paid the rent. I had nowhere else to turn, so I went.
When I went there I was greeted by a very nice woman with a Rotary Pin.
She helped me, she listened, and she understood. I was not a slacker or lazy. I worked hard for what I had, and hated having to go for help. She showed me more respect and dignity than I could ever imagine. I remember the Rotary Emblem prominently displayed above her head. I do not think I will ever be able to pay back that one act of kindness. Ever.
I went back over the years and volunteered there whenever I could, but always in the back of my mind I thought I could do more. There had to be more.
Two of my children grew up, one died, and two were left at home. Then I found myself moving to New York State. I thought a change would be nice, a better place to raise my other two children.
I ended up with a terrific boss who asked me, ?Hey, would you like to join Rotary?. He tried to explain about Rotary, how it wasn?t just the food pantry I should recognize it by. He then took me to his father who was also a Rotarian. His father was a passionate man who showed me a project he had done for an Orphanage in South America. It was an oven that used no more than the sun to cook for them. The passion in his eyes reached my very soul and a realization came to me. This was my ?More?, the rest of the story so to speak. However, it turned out to be only the beginning.
I have been a Rotarian now for almost 8 years. In that time I have learned that Rotary is many, many faces. Literally.
It is the face of the Tsunami Victim proudly displaying the new boat to replace what was lost. He can now support his family once again. It is the face of African Children being immunized for Polio so that they will grow up without the added burden of being crippled. It is the face of the man who has been given the chance for clean water for his village through a Rotary Foundation Grant. It is the face of a child who was given a Shelter Box t o use after Hurricane Katrina hit the golf coast. It is the face of that little boy or girl who will sit down to a Thanksgiving meal they may not have been able to afford.
I have learned the power of the community and when combined what a force it becomes. I have learned compassion is out there and all over the world. I have learned peace is possible. I have learned children can be fed and No One should go hungry. I have learned that there are many Rotarians who know how to show dignity and respect to others. I have learned that everyone should have a chance to learn to read. I have learned what ?More? truly means.
The best part of it? I am in the midst of it all. Working, giving time and money when I can. Truly being a part of the world. Attending Seminars and functions that opened my eyes to the many things that Rotary stands for. The mass quantity of volunteers Rotary has is so enormous that it boggles the mind.
So can I give back that dignity and respect I got so long ago from a single Rotarian occupying a small place in the world? I doubt it. However, I can sure spend the rest of my life trying.
Catherine Ricci
District 7170 AG 2006-07
District 7170 Foundation Treasurer

2 comments:

  1. Catherine, that is a great story and I would like to read it to my club members and to show prospective members, if that's OK. This makes me proud to be a Rotarian.

    Regards

    Steve Pickering
    Copenhagen International RC, District 1470

    ReplyDelete
  2. These testimonials are provided by Rotary international and available for you to use.Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete