Tuesday, September 04, 2012

RI PRESIDENT GETS HIS GOAT


By Sakuji Tanaka

While I was in Africa recently, I traveled through eight countries and nine cities, meeting people and projects along the way. What I saw amazed me. For example, I met Rotarians who had an impressive ability to identify the needs of orphaned children. They were using grants from The Rotary Foundation to help support a dairy farm in Kenya. (click below to read more)




I also enjoyed visiting a large water project in a Masai village, where water was being pumped with the help of gravity over hills to reach villages four kilometers away! Three districts in Japan and District 5340 (California, USA) support the project. It was gratifying to see this work in action.

The unexpected sometimes happens on trips. In Nigeria, I was given a goat after being made an Urhobo chief! In case you are wondering, I didn’t bring the goat back with me to my office at Rotary World Headquarters in Evanston, Illinois, USA. I didn’t think it was a good idea to bring it back to the United States in my luggage! The villagers promised to care for the goat in my absence.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment