Friday, September 23, 2011

WHY I AM A ROTARIAN

A friend Atul Jadhav invited me to join Rotary Club of Vasco da gama in 1993 - 
this is the primary and probably the technically accepted reason to 'Why I am a Rotarian''. 
I wish this were true in all cases... but just by joining Rotary, I became a member of  
Rotary Club of Vasco da gama. It took a lot more to get converted to a Rotarian. 
It began in the first year when I attended our District Conference... I learnt to ''Be a friend''. 
Club Service was and should be the first step to become a Rotarian.   (click below to read more)


Next I learnt ''Act with Integrity..."' I started practicing the Four Way Test (as much as I could) 
in my daily life... so I started to understand the meaning of ''Vocational Service'' 
Our Club used to do a decent amount of ''Community Service'' and with the theme ''Show 
Rotary Cares for your community for our world for its people'' even I started to participate 
in the activities.  
theme ''Follow Your Rotary Dream'' made me creative and I really began giving inputs rather 
than just participate in Club projects. Internet had just come and I was amongst the first one 
to see the difference. That was the first time I really understood the meaning of ''International
Service'' even despite the fact that I had been contributing to Our Rotary Foundation just at
the call of the TRF Chair without understanding what was happening to the money. 
My Dream had just begun... that's the time I thought truly became a Rotarian. I had
understood that unless you participate in all 4 avenues of Service you can never become a 
Rotarian. Each year's theme added a new dimension to my thinking. By the time I became 
President (2001-02 with Richard King as RI President and Pratap Puranik as District 
Governor) I had read and understood enough to plan the year and hand over the charge to 
the incoming President satisfied on what I had done. 
Participating in Club and District (where I am still known as ''New Technology Rotarian'')
would keep me happy.. but the ADRENALIN was missing. Our Club was going down and 
everyone was getting disenchanted... some MAGIC was needed to revive the Club. Then 
came the theme ''MAKE DREAMS REAL'' and a few of us took up things seriously and 
planned out the REVIVAL.... It WORKED... and once again I thought ''I have now become a 
true Rotarian'' thanks to PDG Pranesh Jahagirdar I learnt the MAGIC GRANTS. It was the
ADRENALIN I needed to keep me running for a few years... 
I soon realised that even that was not the end to my DREAMS and I still had miles to 
go.... Each year was an experience. A Convention puts Rotary into a Rotarian... Only Global 
Networking can change the way you look at Rotary beyond your Club... Reading History can 
improve your Rotary knowledge.  
RGHF, RLI and Facebook have taught me much more in one year than I learnt in the past 
17 years... and do not know NEXT IS WHAT ! 
Looking at myself and the way I have changed over the years... this is an ongoing 
process... it 
is still the making of a complete Rotarian ! 
To sum up in Gandhiji's words: I AM A ROTARIAN because I want to be the change I want
to see in the world !
 
Prakash Chand Saraswat                                                                  
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment