Tuesday, March 09, 2010

WHY I AM A ROTARIAN

My friend Ray Krupa asked me to join. I knew that the East Hampton Rotary club provided scholarships to a number of high school students and that they maintained a "playscape" at Memorial Elementary School. 
After joining , I met Mike Benard, our youth exchange officer, who introduced me to District 7980 Chair David Wolfe and the Rotary Youth Exchange  program. David introduced me to RYLA, New Generations, and our GSE program run by the Barretts. Brian and Linda Barrett opened my eyes to the possibilities of the GSE program. I then had the opportunity to travel to Haiti on a Rotary mission with PDG Dick Benson and Service Above Self recipient Jerry Lowney. 
Later my wife Gail and I participated on an NID in Niger, West Africa and I had was able to volunteer for a literacy trip to Project Amigo in Colima, Mexico. I became involved with the Foundation scholarship programs and had the distinct pleasure of meeting many of our Foundation alumni. 
Why am I a Rotarian? People, opportunity and service.
PDG Alan Hurst
Central Connecticut Coast YMCA
Rotary District 7980
Governor 2005-2006
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment