Thursday, May 01, 2014

THE FIRST WORD

incorrigible

PRONUNCIATION:
(in-KOR-i-juh-buhl) 

MEANING:
adjective: Incapable of being corrected or reformed.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin in- (not) + corrigere (to correct). Ultimately from the Indo-European reg- (to move in a straight line, lead, or rule), which also gave us regime, direct, rectangle, erect, rectum, alert, source, surge, recto, regular, abrogatearrogateprorogueinterregnumregent, and supererogatory. Earliest documented use: 1340.

USAGE:
"I'm an incorrigible scavenger. I've been known to climb into dump trucks because I've seen an interesting table leg sticking out of the rubbish. I've furnished whole apartments from things I've found on the street."
Lee Tulloch; My Souvenirs Are Not Snow Globes; The Canberra Times (Australia); Feb 22, 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment