Friday, December 04, 2009

DECEMBER IS FAMILY MONTH

This year marks my 50th as a Rotarian. I cannot recall whether, on the day I first joined a Rotary club, I gave any thought to what my involvement with Rotary might be in 2009-10. I am sure I never expected that Rotary would have become so much a part of the Estess household that it would feel to all of us like family.
I often talk about how The Rotary Foundation supports the entire family of Rotary. Rotary is like a family in so many ways – in the ways we lift each other up, help each other grow, and accomplish things together that we never could alone.
Through Rotary, with the help of our Foundation, we can take on challenges that no one else has the ability, or the inclination, or the organizational resources to tackle. We in Rotary share what we have in a way that no one else does – with love, with kindness, and with simple generosity. And that is why, when I was traveling with my wife, Mary, during Rotary’s centennial year, she so often said to me, “The finest people in the world must be Rotarians.”
What we have both seen in the last 50 years, over and over again, has been a pure and overwhelming desire to be of assistance – a desire that, thanks to the Foundation, is backed with financial and practical resources. Rotarians work to address needs that seem so large or so intractable that no one else will even try – or sometimes so insignificant that no one else will bother. In our Rotary family, we rise to these challenges because we know we can – with the strength of our Foundation behind us.
Glenn E. Estess Sr.
Foundation Trustee Chair
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment