Tuesday, September 18, 2012

WHY I DECIDED TO HELP ROTARY END POLIO


By Nydia Caro, Puerto Rican actress, singer, and “This Close” ambassador

When John Richardson, past governor of District 7000 (Puerto Rico), contacted me to be the face of the polio eradication program for Rotary in Puerto Rico, I did not hesitate because I wanted somehow to be a part of this amazing project.  (click below to read more)


As I started doing research on Rotary to understand my commitment better, I discovered the amazing scope of activities Rotarians are involved in to improve our planet. 

I was amazed to see all the places in the world where Rotarians are actively making a difference in people’s lives in the area of health and education. Their activities are a chain of proactive good-will around our globe.

I never knew before how many extraordinary people with generous and open hearts were Rotarians, and their willingness to put in whatever time and effort is necessary to do something as difficult as eradicating polio. 

I have always believed that we truly can move mountains, if we understand that we all belong to one human race. We are all alike and connected on many levels, and we can make great things happen if we wake up to that fact. I help you, you help him, he helps her, and on and on. We can build the world we all dream about. 

It starts with our families and then our communities. And then, like Rotary has done, we reach out in brotherhood and sisterhood to help those around us who need help to reach their potential and live a dignified life. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment